The journey continues…

My first year out of nursing school was rocky, to say the least. I graduated in 1994 (EGAD! That was over 15 years ago!), when there was a shortage of nursing jobs-more because of hospital cutbacks than because nurses weren’t needed. I ended up working in a level III NICU, thinking it was close enough to labor and delivery that I’d still be happy. Level III is a designation of the highest risk hospitals with regards to newborn care. The tiniest of preemies, the most exotic of birth defects, the sickest of the babies.

Boy howdy, was I wrong. About the “close enough”. I wanted to be exactly where I am now. I spent three months thinking I’d died and gone to hell. I went home crying more days than not. I REALLY came unglued the first time I cared for a dying baby. He was a suffering little guy from the time he was born, and four months later, his parents made the agonized decision to discontinue life support. Since I was the new nurse, and I needed to learn how to do postmortem care, his care was assigned to me.

Ick. Anyway, after three months of varying degrees of Dante’s inferno (I think I made an accidental pun there-inferno? degrees? Insert eye roll at myself here…), I had to leave the job or end up in a rubber bouncy room. I’d already become friends with my couch, tissues, and pints of Ben & Jerry’s ice cream.

This was the first time in my life that I had “failed” at something. School always came easily to me. My next job was six months in a nursing home. It was dauntingly humbling, and to this day I have trouble seeing the difference between being humbled and being humiliated. After a week of working there, however, I was able to pinpoint another feeling: relief. I wasn’t surrounded by beeping machines anymore.

As I usually do, I made the best of it. And every so often I’d call the nurse recruiter’s secretary at the hospital where I’d worked as a nursing assistant in labor and delivery, where I’d worked in the NICU, and where I WANTED to work as a nurse in labor and delivery.

Finally, about 9 months after I graduated, SHE calle ME to let me know there was a job posting in L & D. Within three weeks I’d interviewed, interviewed again, and was offered the job. On my birthday.

It was one of the best birthday presents ever.

This entry was posted in How did I get here? and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s